Choosing Colors in the Home
Color is fun! Color can also be scary. How? For many, adding colors into their home is a big step. They don’t want to make their space too “loud” or “tacky” or even child or circus-like. We’re here to tell you, don’t fear color! You just have to be smart and methodical with your color choices in your home. At the end of the day if you love the color scheme, that’s all that matters! Some people love bright, loud colorful décor while others prefer muted, natural colors everywhere. Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer.
If you’re looking to add color into your home and are a bit unsure or hesitant on how to go about it, we wanted to offer some tips and advice that may help you choose colors whether you’re building a new home or renovating a room.
- Use the 60-30-10 rule. When decorating a room, divide the colors into percentages: 60% of a dominant color, 30% of a secondary color, 10% of an accent color. You will notice most rooms in magazines or showrooms are designed this way. The 60 percent helps give off an overall theme/feel and unification, the 30% provides visual interest, and the 10% gives it an extra sparkle.
- With the right context, any colors can work together, especially if you like them. Different shades and temperatures of color can work together more than you might expect them to.
- If you’re looking for energy, bold colors accomplish this feeling. They also bring a warmth and richness to the room.
- Pastel colors make a room feel soft and playful.
- Neutral colors can make a room feel calm and soothing. They can also help “ground” bold and pastel colors in the room.
- When you combine different colors, you can exude different feelings in one space.
- If certain bold colors make you nervous, experiment by slowly mixing them in with more muted colors until the room feels the way you want it to.
- Add accent colors to neutral rooms in less permanent ways (rugs, pillows, lamps, art) to see how you feel with the brighter colors. You can easily exchange or swap out these items.
- Don’t be afraid of dark colors. Using a dark color doesn’t mean your space will look smaller. In fact, dark colors can give you a warm, dramatic look and feel. Just be mindful about the shade and how you plan to use it in the room. The more light in the room (natural light), the more you can play around with a darker color.
- Pale/pastel colors can also liven up a room. Plenty of people are too hesitant to try bolder colors so these softer colors can still make a statement without being as loud.
- There is no “right” or “wrong” with color. Color is about finding the right mix that feels good for you and reflects your tastes.
- Take your time choosing and exploring color options, schemes, and pairings.
Thinking about renovating your home or building a new one? Luxury Home Solutions’ design team can help you decide on choosing colors throughout your home. Luxury Home Solutions is a custom home builder who builds and renovates homes in Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, and other Southwest Florida cities. To get started with our design team, click here or call 239-728-2143.