Halloween is a fun time of the year for children but it can be a spooky one for adults trying to protect their homes. It’s a time known for reckless pranks that can damage a person’s home, and an opportunity for burglars to strike when you are out trick-or-treating or at a Halloween party. Homeowners going through remodels and even new builds should be especially cautious of pranksters and burglars. Luxury Home Solutions (LHS) wants to share with your top safety tips to protect your home this frightening holiday.
General safety tips to secure your home:
- Trim hedges and bushes around your home’s windows and doors to make your home more visible and reduce objects burglars can hide behind.
- Install motion detecting lights around your home, especially at all entrances, so you are alerted when someone or something is approaching your home.
- Do not leave spare keys outside; most people know where to look to find a spare key.
- Keep all doors and windows locked even when you are home. Only open windows in rooms you are currently in and make sure to lock them when you leave.
- Get an alarm system to truly secure your home when you are home and out.
If you are undergoing a renovation or building a new home, make sure to follow the tips below:
- All openings should be securely covered with boards and wood to prevent access.
- All debris should be cleaned up at the end of the work day to create a clean and safe area.
- All tools, including ladders, drills, etc., should be put away in a protected area like the garage to prevent others from accessing them. Ladders can be used to gain entry to your home and other work tools in the wrong hands can hurt someone.
- Valuables should be removed from the home during renovations and/or stored in a fire proof safe to ensure they are not damaged or stolen.
- All good contractors, like LHS, should have a safety plan and rules for each job site that is shared with all workers on the job. Ask your contractor for a copy, it gives peace of mind knowing your home is in good hands.
Luxury Home Solutions hopes everyone has a happy, fun and safe Halloween! If you are looking into a home renovation or want to build a new custom home please contact Southwest Florida’s leader in luxury home building, design, and remodeling. LHS builds new custom homes and remodels in Fort Myers, Naples, Bonita Springs, Marco Island and other surrounding towns. We have over 30 years of experience so call us at 239-728-2143 or click here for more information.